As you enter our practice for your first cleaning appointment you will see we are not the typical dental office. We are genuinely concerned with your overall health and how it relates to and interacts with your oral health. Since a significant number of dental problems such as cavities tend to progress exponentially over several months, we usually will recommend return appointments every 6 months. Your initial appointment will last approximately an hour and a half.
Your appointment will begin by reviewing your past and present medical history and any medications you are taking. Your blood pressure will be taken and recorded. Dental history will be reviewed and we will learn and discuss your previous dental experiences. It is important for us to be aware of your expectations and concerns for your mouth.
- We take radiographs (x-rays) of your teeth, checking for cavities between teeth, verify periodontal breakdown, look for abscesses and pathosis of bone.
- We then perform your oral exam, checking for periodontal disease, dental disease, and cavities. We also perform an oral cancer exam.
- We take intra-oral photographs of your teeth so you may view them on a large monitor. These photos will help you understand what is going on inside your mouth.
- We perform a thorough cleaning using the latest in piezo, ultrasonics, and sodium bicarbonate stain removal.
- We review your brushing and flossing techniques and educate you in the latest that dentistry has to offer.
- We review any findings and explain and discuss treatment options if treatment is necessary.
- We provide you with headphones and music if needed to help you relax.
- We also give you a new high quality toothbrush, glide dental floss, tongue cleanser (scraper), sample toothpaste, and any literature you will need for any particular questions you may have.
- We help you with future appointments, insurance, and do whatever is necessary to make your visits as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
If you are merely looking for a quick cleaning and checkup, we may not be the dental practice for you.
We are available to our patients 24 hours for all emergencies which may develop. You will always have access to speaking with Dr. Shannon or his Hygienist, Adele.