Relaxation Dentistry is accomplished through oral medication taken prior to your dental appointment. A family member or friend accompanies you to the office and by the time you arrive you are drowsy. Upon arrival at the office, you are escorted to a comfortable chair, and covered with a nice warm blanket. Once you are completely comfortable, Dr. Shannon and his experienced clinical team will take care of your dental needs. Once treatment is completed, your family member or friend drives you home to finish your relaxing day.
Relaxation Dentistry Facts
- It’s safe! You take an oral medication prior to treatment, no needles or IV’s.
- It works! You really can be relaxed throughout your dental appointment.
- You will have little or no memory of the treatment experience. You will not remember sounds or smells.
- You will relax for up to 5 to 6 hours after taking the medication.
- Complex procedures usually requiring 6 to 8 appointments, can be achieved in as little as one!
- Relaxation dentistry reduces the fatigue of extended treatment involving long visits.
- Relaxation is excellent for people who have difficulty getting numb.
Frequently asked Questions
Will I be unconscious? No. You are deeply relaxed, but you are responsive.
Will there be any pain? No. You feel nothing!
How long does the relaxation last? Generally between two to six hours, depending on your needs.
Will I need someone to drive/accompany me? Yes. The sedative effects of the medication are such that you will need someone to drive you to our office and then home again.
Who Are Relaxation Dentistry Candidates?
People who have:
had negative or traumatic dental experiences
significant anxiety or fear about dental procedures
limited time availability to complete dental treatments
difficulty getting numb with local anesthesia
a sensitive or profound gag reflex
multiple or complex dental problems
fear or embarrassment about their teeth
serious dislike of shots and needles!
problems with the smells, tastes, and noises associated with certain dental procedures